pgAdmin III is an open source application for remote administration and management of PostgreSQL databases. Unlike phpPgAdmin which is accessed through a browser, pgAdmin is installed locally on your PC.
pgAdmin is available for download from the official website: www.pgadmin.org and it can be installed locally on your PC.
Connecting to a Database with pgAdmin III
For connecting remotely you will first need to enable the remote access to databases option in your client account. Then install the OpenVPN locally on your PC. OpenVPN provides a secured connection between your computer and the PostgreSQL server.
After running OpenVPN as administrator and establishing a connection you should also run pgAdmin III.
Establish a new connection from File -> Add Server... menu (the first icon in the toolbar).
Enter the details to connect to the database in the New Server Registration window.
(1) Name: enter a name for this connection to distinguish it from the others, e.g. "mysite.com SH servername";
(2) Host: enter a name such as server.rdb.superhosting.bg where "server" stands for the server where your hosting account is located;
(3) Port: 5432
(4) Service: leave this field empty;
(5) Maintenance DB: postgres; this is a system database to which all users and applications are connected by default. Leave the postgres option in this field.
(6) Username: the database user, for example cpuser_mypguser.
(7) Password: enter a password or leave this field empty as well. You will be able to enter your password each time you connect. We do not recommend using Store password (7) to save your password.
(8) Optional settings
Click OK (9) to connect to the PostgreSQL server. Enter the password if applicable. A list of databases will be displayed on the left.
If your connection to the server fails, try to reconnect OpenVPN by using the Run as Administrator option. Right click on the OpenVPN icon and choose the Run as Administrator option.
If you still can't connect to the PostgreSQL server and you receive one of the following messages: "Server doesn't listen...", "The server doesn't accept connections..." or "The server doesn't grant access to the database...” please contact our technical support team.